2008/8/15 Ed Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> The training issue is a real one, but presumably over time electronics that
> would be part of these wetware/hardware combination brains could be
> developed to train the wetware/hardware machines --- under the control
> guidance of external systems at the factory --- relatively rapidly, so that
> in say one year the brains know as much as a bright teenager.  Since all
> this training could take place in parallel, it would not be that great of an
> overall cost.
>
> I personally would prefer all electronic brains where you could have much
> more of an ability to examine virtually any part of the system.  But it is
> possible that it will be quite a while before we can develop electronics as
> cheap and as power efficient as neurons. (Of course it is also possible that
> electronic advances will happen so fast that there is no real reason for
> using wetware.)

I doubt that breeding rats and then training their brains under
controlled conditions for a whole year is going to be a cheap
exercise.  You need appropriate facilities and equipment, food,
probably expert technicians to remove neural tissue overseen by
ethical committees and all the other accompanying beaurocracy.

Compared to a pure machine solution biological or partially biological
(cyborgian) systems are going to be expensive and time consuming to
produce.  A years worth of training can be transmitted between
machines without loss of information in very small amounts of time.