EXPLORING THE FUNCTION OF SLEEP
http://www.physorg.com/news138941239.html

From the article:

Because it is universal, tightly regulated, and cannot be lost without serious harm, Cirelli argues that sleep must have an important core function. But what?

"Sleep may be the price you pay so your brain can be plastic the next day," Cirelli and Tononi say.

Their hypothesis is that sleep allows the brain to regroup after a hard day of learning by giving the synapses, which increase in strength during the day, a chance to damp down to baseline levels. This is important because the brain uses up to 80 percent of its energy to sustain synaptic activity.

Sleep may also be important for consolidating new memories, and to allow the brain to "forget" the random, unimportant impressions of the day, so there is room for more learning the next day. This could be why the brain waves are so active during certain periods of sleep.

"I just gotta get me one of these!" (Will Smith, Independence Day)

SHARP UNVEILS NEW ANTI-BIRD FLU AIR PURIFIER
http://www.physorg.com/news139046671.html

Cheers,
Brad