Matt,

> People who haven't studied
> logic or its notation can certainly learn to do this type of reasoning.

Formal logic doesn't scale up very well in humans. That's why this
kind of reasoning is so unpopular. Our capacities are that small and
we connect to other human entities for a kind of distributed problem
solving. Logic is just a tool for us to communicate and reason
systematically about problems we would mess up otherwise.

> So perhaps someone can explain why we need formal knowledge
> representations to reason in AI.

Using formal krep supports us in checking what an AI does when
it solves complex problems. So it should be convenient for _us_
and not necessarily for the AI. As I said, it's just a tool.

Just my thoughts...

cu Jan