Brad Pausen wrote

The question I'm raising in this thread is more one of priorities and
allocation of scarce resources.  Engineers and scientists comprise only
about 1% of the world's population.  Is human-level NLU worth the resources
it has consumed, and will continue to consume, in the pre-AGI-1.0 stage?
Even if we eventually succeed, would it be worth the enormous cost?
Wouldn't it be wiser to "go with the strengths" of both humans and
computers during this (or any other) stage of AGI development?
<<<

I think it is not so important what abilities our first AGIs will have.
Human language would be a nice feature but it is not necessary.

It is more important how it works. We want to develop an intelligent software
which has the potential to solve very different problems in different domains.
This is the main idea of AGI.

Imagine someone thinks he has build an AGI. How can he convince the community
that it is in fact AGI and not AI? If he shows some applications where his AGI
works then this is an indication for the G in his AGI but it is no proof at
all. Even a turing test would be no good test because given n questions for the
AGI I can never be sure whether it can pass the test for further n questions.
AGI is inherently a white box problem not a black box problem.

A chess playing computer is for many people a stunning machine. But we know HOW
it works and only(!) because we know the HOW we can evaluate the potential of
this approach for general AGI.

Brad, for this reason I think your question about whether the first AGI should
have the ability for human language or not is not so important. If you can
create a software which has the ability to solve very different problems in
very different domains than you have solved the main problem of AGI.

Of course it is important to show what the AGI can do with some examples. But
for an evaluation of its potential to be a real AGI it is more important how it
works.