On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 6:38 AM, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, coding theory does let you derive upper bounds on the memory capacity
> of Hopfield-net type memory  models...
>
> But, the real issue for Hopfield nets is not theoretical memory capacity,
> it's tractable incremental learning algorithms
>
> Along those lines, this work is really nice...
>
> http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.33.817
>
> I wonder how closely that method lets you achieve the theoretical upper
> bound.  Unfortunately, current math seems inadequate to discover this, but
> empirics could tell us.  If anyone wants to explore it, we have a Java
> implementation of Storkey's palimpsest learning scheme for Hopfield nets,
> specialized for simple experiments with character arrays.

I'm currently experimenting with a kind of oscillator-based network,
that contains binary oscillators of different periods (to collectively
enumerate big portion of Hamming space) and adaptive phase reset that
navigates the state space and allows to capture patterns. Application
is different though, I'm trying to capture continuous features by
tracks of trajectories in Hamming space, both in time (sequences of
inputs) and in input feature space (among different instances of input
that can be separated in time). Can't find relevant literature for
this one (idea derives from neuroscience, and their models look like
they try to actively prevent theoretical understanding of what's
really going on).

[1] Microstructure of a spatial map in the entorhinal cortex
by: Torkel Hafting, Marianne Fyhn, Sturla Molden, May-Britt Moser,
Edvard I Moser
Nature (19 June 2005)

[2] Reset of human neocortical oscillations during a working memory task.
by: DS Rizzuto, JR Madsen, EB Bromfield, A Schulze-Bonhage, D Seelig,
R Aschenbrenner-Scheibe, MJ Kahana
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States
of America, Vol. 100, No. 13. (24 June 2003), pp. 7931-7936.

--
Vladimir Nesov
[EMAIL PROTECTED]