Steve,

Ignoring your overheated invective, I will make one more attempt to address
your objections.  **If and only if** you will be so kind as to summarize
them in a compact form in a single email.   If you give me a numbered list
of your objections against my approach to AGI and other similar approaches,
in which each objection is summarized in a few dozen words at most, then I
will respond by summarizing my reaction to each of your objections.

-- Ben G

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Steve Richfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [...]

>> But this latter aphorism has the immediate logical conclusion that nothing
>> will ever succeed.
>>

>   Because, there is an infinite number of possible objections to any
>> statement,
>>

> Note the absence of the word "possible" which you apparently presumed. You
> only need answer the ACTUAL objections, which are quite countable, and in
> environments populated by competent managers, always ARE all considered, at
> least by those managers who want to keep their jobs.
>

> Have you heard of the process of "Objection Elimination"?
>

>>  so long as one counts as different any two objections that differ
>> slightly in wording, even if their meaning is essentially the same.
>>

> Obviously, one answer can easily address an entire class of objections.
>
>   What you don't seem to understand is that I, and most of the other AGI
>> engineers on this list, have **already heard all these objections** --- we
>> have read them in the primary research literature, when they were first
>> proposed decades ago, and we don't really need to hear them repeated over
>> and over again, usually in rougher and less precise form than the initial
>> presentations in the literature.
>>

> What mystifies me is that apparently NO ONE has ever answered those many
> objections, so mere mortals like me presume them to be correct, yet some
> people persist in charging onward in spite of the apparent abyss that lies
> ahead. Myself, I believe that there IS a path through the minefield, but you
> can't expect to get through a minefield by simply walking through and
> ignoring those bumps and depressions in the dirt, disturbed foliage, etc.
>

>>  Our lack of agreement with these arguments is NOT because we have not
>> heard them repeated often enough!!
>>

> Are you then claiming insanity?! Do you have wonderful answers that have
> eluded everyone else, yet are too busy to post them? Do you think that you
> can simply ignore these issues and still somehow succeed (which seems to be
> your present position from what I have read)?
>
> Our "lack of agreement" has nothing about uniqueness of arguments, or even
> accuracy of arguments, but instead is about process - the process of
> managing and executing the fabrication of intelligent machines. This is NOT
> just about programming, for if you are going to recruit others, get funding,
> coordinate a substantial effort, etc., then feasibility issues absolutely
> MUST be answered SOMEWHERE, lest everyone associated be considered to be
> (world) village idiots, regardless of the correctness (or lack thereof) of
> their path.
>
> The forum you envision is MUCH narrower than the advertised nature of this
> AGI forum. May I suggest that a new forum for "programming techniques that
> may be useful in a future century when present real-world impediments have
> been removed" be formed and YOU move THERE instead of moving the
> still-rational AGI-interested population from here to somewhere else.

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]