On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Russell Wallace
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Vladimir Nesov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Note that people are working on this specific technical problem for 30
>> years, (see the scary amount of work by Cousot's lab,
>> http://www.di.ens.fr/~cousot/COUSOTpapers/ ), and they are still
>> tackling fixed invariants, finding ways to summarize program code as
>> transformations on domains containing families of assertions about
>> program state, to handle loops, to work with more features of
>> programming languages they analyze. And it all is still imprecise and
>> is able to find only relatively weak assertions. Open-ended invention
>> of assertions to reflect the effect of program code in a more adaptive
>> way in even on a horizon.
>
> Look at it this way: at least we're agreed it's not such a trivial
> problem as to be unworthy of a prototype AGI :-)

Except at this point I see nothing in common between this problem of
scalable analysis of huge formal systems and generation of code to
hand-written specification (at least if roadmap starts from code
geneneration and not the other way around, in which case code
generation can be said to be control guided by a model constructed
using summarization of possible programs having required properties).

--
Vladimir Nesov
[EMAIL PROTECTED]