On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ben,
>
> My first thought here is that  - ironically given recent discussion - this
> is entirely a *philosophical* POV.
>
> Yes, a great deal of science takes the form below, i.e. of establishing
> "correlations" - and v. often between biological or environmental factors
> and diseases.
>
> However, it is understood that this is only provisional knowledge. The aim
> of science is always to move beyond it and to establish causal relations -
> and for example eliminate some correlations as not  causal. That science is
> about causality is decidedly not "up to you."  What is at stake here is
> science's mechanistic worldview, which sees things as machines and matter in
> motion, one part moving [or "causing"] another. That is not, as you imply,
> optional. It is the foundation of science. Nor is it optional in technology
> or AI.
>
> Of course if you just want to be a philosopher...

As Ben noted, there is no established consensus on what causality is
and how to discover it in various processes. There are several points
of view on how to formalize this intuition, but they are at odds with
each other and have their respective weaknesses.

Most "laws" that science discovers apply in a context-sensitive
manner, and part of this context can't be controlled or detected when
the laws are to apply. You can sometimes cheat the laws by selecting a
context in which they reliably break, but usually you are physically
or technologically unable to do so, or the law assumes that you don't
try that. Dependency is usually said to be causal if it can't start to
reliably break given expected variations of context, which
distinguishes it from mere correlation, when you can set up a context
that breaks it. My thoughts on this subject are written up here:

http://causalityrelay.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/causal-rules/
http://causalityrelay.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/causation-and-actions/

--
Vladimir Nesov