  From: Ben Goertzel
  To: agi@v2.listbox.com
  Sent: Monday, October 27, 2008 12:07 PM
  Subject: **SPAM** Re: [agi] If your AGI can't learn to play chess it is no AGI

  I think you're converging on better and better wording ... however, I think
somehow you do need to account for the differences between

  -- science

  on the one hand and

  -- math
  -- art

  etc. on the other hand, which also involve group learning and codification
and communication of results, etc. ... but are different from science.  I'm not
sure the best way to formalize the difference in general, in a way that
encompasses all the cases of science and is descriptive rather than normative
... but I haven't thought about it much and have other stuff to do...

  ben

  On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    >> You've now changed your statement to "science = optimal formalized group
learning" ... I'm not sure if this is intended as descriptive or prescriptive

    Our previous e-mails about the sociology of science should have made it
quite clear that its not descriptive  ;-)  Of course it was intended to be
prescriptive.  (Though, on second thought, if you removed the "optimal", maybe
it could be descriptive -- what do you think?)

    And yes, I'm constantly changing the phrasing of my statement in an attempt
to get my intended meaning across.  This is <eventually> going to loop back to
my belief that the degree to which you are a general intelligence is the degree
to which you're a(n optimal) scientist.  So I haven't really changed my basic
point at all (although admittedly, I've certainly refined it some -- which is
my whole purpose in having this discussion :-)

    >> Also, learning could be learning about mathematics, which we don't
normally think of as being science ...

    True.  But I would argue that that is a shortcoming of our thinking.  This
is similar to your previous cosmology example.  I'm including both under the
umbrella of what you'd clearly be happier phrasing as "a system of thought
intended to guide a group in learning about . . . ."

    What would you say if I defined science as "a system of thought intended to
guide a group in learning about the empirical world" and a scientist simply as
someone who employs science (i.e. that system of thought).

    I would also tend to think of "system of thought" as being interchangeable
with "process" and/or "method".

    >> If you said "A scientific research programme is a system of thought
intended to guide a group in learning about some aspect of the empirical world
(as understood by this group) and formalizing their conclusions and methods" I
wouldn't complain as much...

    So you like SCIENCE PROGRAM = SYSTEM FOR GROUP LEARNING + FORMALIZATION OF
RESULTS but you don't like SCIENCE = LEARNING + TRANSMISSION (which is the
individual case) OR SCIENCE = GROUP LEARNING (which probably should have +
CODIFICATION added to assist the learning of future group members).

      No, it's really just that I've been spending too much time on this
mailing list.  I've got an AGI to build, as well as too many other
responsibilities ;-p

      You've now changed your statement to "science = optimal formalized group
learning" ... I'm not sure if this is intended as descriptive or prescriptive

      Obviously, science as practiced is not optimal and has many cultural
properties besides those implied by being "group learning"