>> The question that is puzzling, though, is: how can it be that these
>> uncomputable, inexpressible entities are so bloody useful ;-)  ... for
>> instance in differential calculus ...

Differential calculus doesn't use those individual entities . . . .

>> Also, to say that uncomputable entities don't exist because they can't be
>> finitely described, is basically just to *define* existence as "finite
>> describability."

I never said any such thing.  I referenced a class of numbers that I defined as
never physically manifesting and never being conceptually distinct and then
asked if they existed.  Clearly some portion of your liver that I can't define
finitely still exists because it is physically manifest.

>> So this is more a philosophical position on what "exists"  means than an
>> argument that could convince anyone.

Yes, in that I basically defined my version of exists as physically manifest
and/or described or invoked and then asked if that matched Abram's definition.
No, in that you're now coming in with half (or less) of my definition and
arguing that I'm unconvincing.  :-)

  The question that is puzzling, though, is: how can it be that these
uncomputable, inexpressible entities are so bloody useful ;-)  ... for instance
in differential calculus ...

  Also, to say that uncomputable entities don't exist because they can't be
finitely described, is basically just to *define* existence as "finite
describability."  So this is more a philosophical position on what "exists"
means than an argument that could convince anyone.

  I have some more detailed thoughts on these issues that I'll write down
sometime soon when I get the time.   My position is fairly close to yours but I
think that with these sorts of issues, the devil is in the details.

  ben