On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 7:14 AM, Benjamin Johnston
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The Prolog clause database effectively has this same problem. It solves it
> simply by indexing on the functor of the outermost term and the first
> argument of that term. This may be enough for your problem. As Donald Knuth
> puts it, premature optimization is the root of all evil.

*nods* Existing logic systems generally seem to use that sort of ad
hoc solution. It's certainly better than nothing, though I'd still
like to try for the full O(N) speedup if possible, since I expect N to
be in the millions in the short term and billions in the long term.

> Even if you can't get your hand on a description of a unification tree, I
> wouldn't imagine it would be too difficult to build an appropriate
> tree-structured index (especially given that the unification algorithm does
> itself operate over trees). If your data doesn't change much, you can
> probably search efficiently, even in the case of unbound variables in the
> query term, by indexing your data in several places (i.e., indexing with
> some arguments ignored).

Googled references seemed to use "unification tree" in the conceptual
sense only, not as the name of a reified data structure; probably the
paper articles aren't showing up. But that is basically the sort of
approach I'm currently thinking of (or will be when I get back to it
from fixing bugs). Thanks!