The basic assumptions behind the project, from the webpage of its team
lead at http://www.modha.org/ :

"The mind arises from the wetware of the brain. Thus, it would seem
that reverse engineering the computational function of the brain is
perhaps the cheapest and quickest way to engineer computers that mimic
the robustness and versatility of the mind.

"Cognitive computing, seeks to engineer holistic intelligent machines
that neatly tie together all of the pieces. Cognitive computing seeks
to uncover the core micro and macro circuits of the brain underlying a
wide variety of abilities. So, it aims to proceeds in algorithm-first,
problems-later fashion.

"I believe that spiking computation is a key to achieving this vision."

--- I have problem with each of these assumptions and beliefs, though
I don't think anyone can convince someone who just get a big grant
that they are moving in a wrong direction. ;-)

Pei