Vladimir Nesov wrote:
Referencing your own work is obviously not what I was asking for.
Still, something more substantial than "neuron is not a concept", as
an example of "cognitive theory"?

I don't understand your objection here: I referenced my own work because I specifically described several answers to your question that were written down in that paper. And I brougt one of them out and summarized it for you. Why would that be "obviously not what I was asking for"? I am confused.

That paper was partly about my own theory, but partly about the general problem of neuroscience models making naive assumptions about cognitive theories in general.

And why do you say that you want something more substantial than "neuron is not a concept" .... that is an extremely serious issue. Why do you dismiss it as insubstantial?

Lastly, I did not say that the neuroscientists picked old, broken theories AND that they could have picked a better, not-broken theory .... I only said that they have gone back to old theories that are known to be broken. Whether anyone has a good replacement yet is not relevant: it does not alter the fact that they are using broken theories. The neuron = concept 'theory' is extremely broken: it is so broken, that when neuroscientists talk about bayesian contingencies being calculated or encoded by spike timing mechanisms, that claim is incoherent.

If you really insist on another example, take one of the other ones that I mentioned in the paper: the naive identification of attentional limitations with a literal "bottleneck" in processing.

I may as well jsut quote you the entire passage that we wrote on the matter. (There are no references to the basic facts about dual-task studies, it is true. Is it really necessary for me to dig those up, or do you know them already?):

QUOTE from Loosemore & Harley-------------------

Dux, Ivanoff, Asplund and Marois (2006) describe a study in which participants were asked to carry out two tasks that were too hard to perform simultaneously. In these circumstances, we would expect (from a wide range of previous cognitive psychological studies) that the tasks would be serially queued, and that this would show up in reaction time data. Some theories of this effect interpret it as a consequence of a modality-independent “central bottleneck” in task performance. Dux et al. used time-resolved fMRI to show that activity in a particular brain area—the posterior lateral prefrontal cortex (pLPFC)—was consistent with the queuing behavior that would be expected if this place were the locus of the bottleneck responsible for the brain’s failure to execute the tasks simultaneously. They also showed that the strength of the response in the pLPFC seemed to be a function of the difficulty of one of the competing tasks, when, in a separate experiment, participants were required to do that task alone. The conclusion drawn by Dux et al. is that this brain imaging data tells us the location of the bottleneck: it’s in the pLPFC. So this study aspires to be Level 2, perhaps even Level 3: telling us the absolute location of an important psychological process, perhaps telling us how it relates to other psychological processes. Rather than immediately address the question of whether the pLPFC really is the bottleneck, we would first like to ask whether such a thing as “the bottleneck” exists at all. Should the psychological theory of a bottleneck be taken so literally that we can start looking for it in the brain? And if we have doubts, could imaging data help us to decide that we are justified in taking the idea of a bottleneck literally?
What is a “Bottleneck”?
Let’s start with a simple interpretation of the bottleneck idea. We start with mainstream ideas about cognition, leaving aside our new framework for the moment. There are tasks to be done by the cognitive system, and each task is some kind of package of information that goes to a place in the system and gets itself executed. This leads to a clean theoretical picture: the task is a package moving around the system, and there is a particular place where it can be executed. As a general rule, the “place” has room for more than one package (perhaps), but only if the packages are small, or if the packages have been compiled to make them automatic. In this study, though, the packages (tasks) are so big that there is only room for one at a time. The difference between this only-room-for-one-package idea and its main rival within conventional cognitive psychology is that the rival theory would allow multiple packages to be executed simultaneously, but with a slowdown in execution speed. Unfortunately for this rival theory, psychology experiments have indicated that no effort is initially expended on a task that arrives later, until the first task is completed. Hence, the bottleneck theory is accepted as the best description of what happens in dual-task studies.
Theory as Metaphor
This pattern of theorizing—first a candidate mechanism, then a rival mechanism that is noticeably different, then some experiments to tell us which is better—is the bread and butter of cognitive science. However, it is one thing to decide between two candidate mechanisms that are sketched in the vaguest of terms (with just enough specificity to allow the two candidates to be distinguished), and making a categorical statement about the precise nature of the mechanism. To be blunt, very few cognitive psychologists would intend the idea of packages drifting through a system and encountering places where there is only room for one, to be taken that literally. On a scale from “metaphor” at one end to “mechanism blueprint” at the other, the idea of a bottleneck is surely nearer to the metaphor end. How many cognitive theorists would say that they are trying to pin down the mechanisms of cognition so precisely that every one of the subsidiary assumptions involved in a theory are supposed to be taken exactly as they come? In the case of the bottleneck theory, for instance, the task packages look suspiciously like symbols being processed by a symbol system, in old-fashioned symbolic-cognition style: but does that mean that connectionist implementations are being explicitly ruled out by the theory? Does the theory buy into all of the explicit representation issues involved in symbol processing, where the semantics of a task package is entirely contained within the package itself, rather than distributed in the surrounding machinery? These and many other questions are begged by the idea of task packages moving around a system and encountering a bottleneck, but would theorists who align themselves with the bottleneck theory want to say that all of these other aspects must be taken literally? We think not. In fact, it seems more reasonable to suppose that the present state of cognitive psychology involves the search for metaphor-like ideas that are described as if they were true mechanisms, but which should not be taken literally by anyone, and especially not by anyone with a brain imaging device who wants to locate those mechanisms in the brain.

Richard Loosemore