I'm going to write a paper

A)
demonstrating completely clearly why
the idea of hypercomputation is scientifically useless

B)
pointing out that, while it *is* logically possible that AGI requires
hypercomputation, if so the implication is that AGI can
never be created or understood via scientific methods

The key here is to appropriately formalize the scientific
process...

Writing this should only take me half a day and will leave me
in a better mood, as I already summarized my key arguments
in a blog post ...

... this sort of thing is my way of  "blowing off steam" ;-)

ben

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Tim Freeman <t...@fungible.com> wrote:

> >From: "Ben Goertzel" <b...@goertzel.org>
> >
> >I'm considering writing a paper on hypercomputation, ...
>
> If I understand right, hypercomputation is theoretical computer
> science arguments of the form "If I had an oracle for the halting
> problem, then..." or "If I had a machine that could complete an
> infinite computation, then...".
>
> Is there anything useful that can come out of this?
>
> At first glance, since you don't have an oracle for the halting
> problem and you won't be getting one, then answer seems to be "no".
> However, you aren't stupid and you are interested in it.  What am I
> missing?
> --
> Tim Freeman               http://www.fungible.com
> t...@fungible.com

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
b...@goertzel.org

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
-- Groucho Marx