J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

On Dec 18, 2008, at 10:09 PM, Colin Hales wrote:
I think I covered this in a post a while back but FYI... I am a little 'left-field' in the AGI circuit in that my approach involves literal replication of the electromagnetic field structure of brain material. This is in contrast to a computational model of the electromagnetic field structure.

Here is a silly question:

If you can specify it well enough to implement the desired result in hardware, why can't you implement it in software? It is equivalent, after all.

And if you can't specify the dynamic well enough to implement it virtually, why would there be any reason at all to believe that it will do anything interesting?

The hallmark of a viable AGI theory/design is that you can explain why it *must* work in sufficient detail to be implementable in any medium.

J. Andrew Rogers

"/If you can specify it well enough to implement the desired result in hardware, why can't you implement it in software? It is equivalent, after all./ "

The answer to this is that you /can /implement it in software. But you won't do that because the result is not an AGI, but an actor with a script. I actually started AGI believing that software would do it. When I got into the details of the issue of qualia (their role and origins) I found that software alone would not do the trick.

If an AGI is to be human equivalent, it must be able to do what humans do. One of those behaviours is science. Getting the 'logical dynamics' of software to cohere with a 'law of nature' is, I believe, impossible for software alone, because the software model of the dynamics cannot converge on an externally located and intrinsically unknown (there is no model!) knowledge. How a software model of a modeller of the intrinsically unknown (a scientist) can work is something I have had to grapple with. In the end I had to admit that software seemed less plausible than actually implementing the full physics of brain material. Hence my EM approach.

The simplest way to get to the position I inhabit is to consider that the electromagnetic field has access to more information (about the world outside the agent) than that available through peripheral nerve signaling. It's the additional information that is thrown away with a /model/ of the electromagnetic field. It's replaced with the arbitrary and logically irrelevant electromagnetic fields of the computer substrate (basically noise). The spatially expressed EM field inherits (dynamics is altered by) information from the external world directly via space..

The EM fields play a very important role in the dynamics, adaptation and regulation of neural activity and none of it is captured with existing neural models - as it acts /orthogonally/ , coupling neurons spatially via EM events, not dendrite/axon routes. It's outside the neurons in the spaces in between. It's the reason cortex is layered and columnar. Cortex is 50% astrocytes by volume. They are all charged up to -80mV. and are intimately involved in brain dynamics. Because the boundary of the cells and space is as much an information source as all the peripheral nerve 'boundaries' (the surface of your body), and the boundary is literally electromagnetism (there's nothing else there!), you can't model it for the same reason you can't model the peripheral nerve signals (you have to have the EM fields for the same reason that you need to have a retina or camera)... by extrapolation everything else follows.

The EM coupling effects are the subject of my PhD and will be out in detail ASAP. Bits of it will be published - It's been a real trial to get the work into print. I tried to get a publication into the AGI conference but ran out of time.

The original hodgkin-huxley model (upon which all modern neural modelling is based) threw out (or at least modelled out) the EM field. If you look in the original 1952 papers you'll see there are batteries, non-linear, time-varying resistors and,,,, ignored and off to one side all by itself, waiting patiently .... a little capacitor. That little capacitor hides the entire EM field spatial behaviour. If you drew the model properly all the components in the model actually span the dielectric of the capacitor between its little plates. The capacitor is actually linked to lots of other capacitors in a large 3-dimensional mesh. You can't delete (via a model) the capacitors because their dynamics is controlled (very very lightly but significantly) by the external world.

So...My approach puts the fully spatially detailed EM field back into the model. The little HH capacitor turns into an entire new complex model operating orthogonally to the rest of the circuit. That capacitor radically changes the real model of brain material. There is spatial coupling to other neurons that happens using the field that has been averaged out and confined inside the dielectric of the capacitor, It's been waiting for someone to find it for 50 years.

Functionally, the key behaviour I use to test my approach is "scientific behaviour". If you sacrifice the full EM field, an AGI would provably be unable to enact scientific behaviour because the AGI brain dynamics would be forced to operate /without the dynamics of the EM field/, which is literally connected to the distal natural world (forming a new I/O stream). The link to the distal natural world is critically involved in 'scientific observation'. You can't simulate it because it's what you are actually there to gain access to. A scientist does not already know what it 'out there' - an AGI scientist needs what human scientist has in order that the AGI do science as well as a human. Scientific behaviour easily extends to normal problem solving behaviour of the kind humans have. Hence 'general intelligence'.

One way of understanding why you can't use software is that you'd have to know everything already (all science must be complete, including already knowing the world surrounding you!). We humans do not know everything already - because science is possible! I rather like the finality of that logic. :-). The whole problem of AGI is not how to be smart - but how to be wrong.then overcome that ignorance. If you write software you are completely logically fixing /-forever-/ how ignorance shall be handled. "/All novelty shall be handled thus/". As a result the external natureal world's real rules could become inaccessible to your software AGI.

In adopting 'the scientist' as my AGI benchmark, I find I must replicate, in my AGI, all critically involved human physics. Hence the need for the new chips. It may be in time that certain portions of the chips are suited to software replication. However - until I have a full working (very dumb - but real) EM AGI running, I won't be able to know which bits of the dynamics can be abstracted away without impoverishing the intelligence of the AGI. I don't have the confidence to make that decision now. The physics has to be done properly so that decisions can be made based on solid knowledge. We currently do not have that knowledge.

So in your original ""/If you can specify it well enough to implement the desired result in hardware, why can't you implement it in software? It is equivalent, after all./ " .... I'd modify it.

(a) You can't 'specify it' completely in the case of a scientist AGI. because the resultant behaviour is unknown and unique. (b) _Yes - Software can be equivalent._ But in the case of an AGI capable of science, /software is not sufficient/ because you'd have to know everything already (pre-program all ignorance, if you like!).

That's probably not a satisfactory answer, but it's all I can do in a few sentences.

cheers

Colin Hales