From: Ian Parker [mailto:ianpark...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:19 PM
To: agi
Subject: Re: [agi] The problem with AGI per Sloman

Actually if you are serious about solving a political or social question
then what you really need is CRESS <http://cress.soc.surrey.ac.uk/web/home>
. The solution of World Hunger is BTW a political question not a technical
one. Hunger is largely due to bad governance in the Third World. How do you
get good governance. One way to look at the problem is via CRESS and run
simulations in second life.

One thing which has in fact struck me in my linguistic researches is this.
Google Translate is based on having Gigabytes of bilingual text. The fact
that GT is so bad at technical Arabic indicates the absence of such
bilingual text. Indeed Israel publishes more papers than the whole of the
Islamic world. This is of profound importance for understanding the Middle
East. I am sure CRESS would confirm this.

AGI would without a doubt approach political questions by examining all the
data about the various countries before making a conclusion. AGI would
probably be what you would consult for long term solutions. It might not be
so good at dealing with something (say) like the Gaza flotilla. In coing to
this conclusion I have the University of Surrey and CRESS in mind.

  - Ian Parker

On 26 June 2010 14:36, John G. Rose <johnr...@polyplexic.com> wrote:

> [...]

Yes, that would show the generality of their AGI theory. Maybe a particular
AGI might be able to work with some problems but plateau out on its
intelligence for whatever reason and not be able to work on more
sophisticated issues. An AGI could be "hardcoded" perhaps and not improve
much, whereas another AGI might improve to where it could tackle vast
unknowns at increasing efficiency. There are common components in tackling
unknowns, complexity classes for example, but some AGI systems may operate
significantly more efficiently and improve. Human brains at some point may
plateau without further augmentation though I'm not sure we have come close
to what the brain is capable of.

John