Ah suddenly I realise why flexible/fluid outlines for concepts are an obvious
necessity.

The reason they seem like a strange rather than obvious idea is that we - and
especially AI-ers - tend to think of concepts in terms of subjects that we are
reading about - that we are viewing as spectators from afar. Even concepts as
simple as

The cat sat on the mat

refer to subjects we are spectating.  In that case, you may think you can get
away (as so many AI-ers try) with defining concepts as sets of more
concepts/attributes.

But of course, concepts are first and foremost there to direct our **physical
actions** - our physical engagement with the world - and needed by animals and
humans alike, (incl. Ben's dog being instructed to "fetch" a ball).

Start thinking in terms of concepts which have to be instantiated in physical
actions/ movements like:

"HOLD the cup/ snake/ cactus/ breast/", "EAT/CHEW your apple sauce/ bone/
cheese straw"  "    CATCH  the book/ball/ case/ falling boy ,"

and if you think of the v. different actions involved in each case, you can see
- no? - that you need extremely fluid "blueprints" for actions - that can
direct and inform almost infinitely * diverse configurations* of our body and
its effectors.

Clearly "concept graphs" and all the other so-called conceptual approaches of
current AI will be a total bust here.

Fluid outlines are equally necessary for other concepts like Cat and Mat, just
not so obviously.

Bear in mind BTW that concepts direct a simply vast amount of our actions,
incl. not so immediately obviously physical actions,  like

GO to the shops.
MOVE to another district.
TAKE a tablet.
LOOK at him.

P.S. Here's an interesting blog on concepts (& related neuroscience) somewhat
in line with the above, although not stressing the fluidity of schemas.

http://artksthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/07/concepts-cognition-and-anthropomorphism.html