I think I can miss a nap to provide arguments for what is likely the
most important CFJ in game history. :)

Arguments:

The rules are, for game purposes, omnipotent. In coming together to
play this game, we do something amazing. We create reality. When I say
I give someone a shiny, it is not my intent merely to have everyone
pretend that I have given a shiny. It is my intent to actually give
that person a shiny. All players eventually come to believe that there
is a "platonic" reality that they affect with their game actions.
That's a major part of why I play. If "reality" disagrees with the
rules, there is a very real sense in which reality is wrong. The fact
that we can change something by agreeing upon it is truly amazing. On
the site it says that many players view Agora as "an experiment in
philosophy, political science, and group dynamics, rather than just a
game". I do, and the biggest part of the experiment for me is that we
change our vision of reality by passing a proposal. The fact that we
can change what we believe is an exhilarating experience. Changing
what one belives is not generally easy, but we've all agreed that
Agora means something and that the rules are true, and that's truly
special. I feel so strongly about this point that I somewhat regret
bringing it up, because I'm terrified that the ruling might be that
I'm wrong. If so, I don't really know what I would do. I might
deregister, I might moot, I might keep on playing and just not believe
the CFJ (they aren't inherently binding).

I humbly request that your honor does not rule that the rules as a
whole can be wrong. This is a point so basic that it cannot be proven
using rule text, for obvious reasons. If you want to rule that you are
restricted to interpreting rule text, and want to stick to the
requirements that the rules are "unlimited in scope", have the
"capacity to govern the game generally", and that "when interpreting
and applying the rules, the text of the rules takes precedence" then
that's fine. If you want to rule that the point is non-falsifiable, or
is a matter of personal interpretation, and is therefore out of scope,
then that's also fine. I submit to you however, that a ruling that the
rules as a whole couldn't do something would be along the same lines
as a judge ordering that a section of eir constitution was
unenforceable because it was wrong. You would be attempting to use the
power of the rules (as a judge) to take away power from the rules
themselves. In taking away the absolutely binding status of the rules,
you would, in my opinion, strip the game of meaning.

The other aspects of the case are irrelevant by comparison. I would
suggest the resolution that the destruction of the universe would be
irrelevant to gameplay, because the rules and that which they define
would continue to exist platonically in the void (ideas don't need the
universe or physical reality to function). The only issue is that the
destruction of the universe could be interpreted as also destroying
the players. Whether this would trigger Rule 1698 is a matter of how
you interpret the definition of ossification:

"Agora is ossified if it is IMPOSSIBLE for any reasonable combination
of actions by players to cause arbitrary rule changes to be made
and/or arbitrary proposals to be adopted within a four-week period."

What is the effect of an action that makes it impossible for there to
be any players? It's somewhat ambiguous if Rule 1698 bars the
deregistration/destruction of the last player, or only really has
meaning if there are players. My suggested resolution is that the rule
does indeed bar the elimination of players, because that would make it
impossible for them to take actions, thus making it possible to do
what is described. This position is supported by common sense and the
interests of the game, which disfavor actions likely to cause the
game's effective nonexistence and permanent stasis, which is after all
what Rule 1698 is specifically designed to prevent. However, I would
not necessarily disagree with an alternate interpretation.

-Aris