On Mon, 2018-08-13 at 01:44 -0700, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> I CFJ on the following:  8077a-8081a are distributed proposals.
> I bar Aris.

Gratuitous:

We used to have a rule forcing numbers to be allocated sequentially,
but it was repealed. Is there any precedent on whether such a repeal
generally invalidates the requirements given in a rule, or whether a
rule becomes redundant when its requirements become game custom?

We /also/ used to have a rule allowing out-of-sequence or unusual
numbers to be allocated in unusual situations. IIRC it's actually been
used, too. (I vaguely remember that it was a consequence of a large
number of spam something, perhaps CFJs.) I'm not sure whether the
numbers in question ended up in the historical record.

I also believe that, based on the wording of the message, the Promotor
attempted to re-distribute proposals that had already been distributed
(as opposed to distributing a duplicate of the original proposal). In
such a case, the proposal's number would remain the same (the ID number
is attached to the proposal, not the distribution). That said,
distributing the same proposal twice is likely to be impossible; I
can't see any way to put a distributed proposal back into the Proposal
Pool, and rule 1607 has a CAN for distributing proposals in the Pool
(which likely puts a CAN NOT on distributing proposals not in the Pool
via rule 2125). Perhaps doing so would be possible via self-
ratification (presumably the minimal gamestate change required to cause
a nonexistent switch to have a given value causes that switch to exist
via the smallest possible change, which in this case would be to return
the proposal to the Pool).

In any case, I think the statement of the CFJ is trivially FALSE
because, based on the legend underneath the distribution in question,
the A in "8077A*" doesn't seem to be any more part of the ID number
than the asterisk is. (Or to put it a different way, the Promotor is
tracking distributions/decisions and distributed proposals separately.
Until now, there hasn't been a reason to differentiate, but a proposal
and a decision are different entities and so some sort of
differentiation makes sense.)

--
ais523