On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 at 11:40, Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion <
agora-discuss...@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On 1/26/2020 7:38 AM, Timon Walshe-Grey via agora-discussion wrote:
> > Alexis wrote:
> >> I'm not sold on this, or on the precedent.
> >>
> >> R2125 is clear that actions can only be performed by the methods
> >> *explicitly* specified. It seems to me that it closes the door to
> methods
> >> of performing actions being specified by implication, even by necessary
> >> implication. I think it requires a conclusion that zombies are broken
> (cf.
> >> the text of the rules taking precedence).
> >
> > I would have said that auction-as-a-method was *explicitly* specified,
> > just not *clearly* specified. IOW, although its meaning is probably not
> > obvious on a cursory inspection - and I don't think it was the intention
> > of the original author, either - I don't see any other plausible
> > interpretation of the text in R2545. "An Auction is a way" (syn. method)
> > "for entities to give away items in exchange for a currency"; it just
> > *is*, there's no subjectivity or subtle implication to it.
>
> Similar to the precedent of CFJ 3659 which found that something could be
> "unambiguous" but not "clear":
> https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?3659
> (that's my personal favorite among all the win-by-Apathy attempts I've ever
> seen btw).
>
> However, the dictionary definition of "explicit" also seems to embody
> clarity:
>  "explicit:  stated clearly and in detail, leaving no room for confusion or
> doubt" or "explicit: fully revealed or expressed without vagueness,
> implication, or ambiguity : leaving no question as to meaning or intent".
>
> -G.

I think this needs to be addressed properly in the judgment. I intend, with
2 support, to group-file a motion to reconsider CFJ 3793.

I will likely have more argument on this but not at the moment, figure I
should get the intent going though.

-Alexis