On Tue, 2022-10-11 at 23:15 +0000, shy owl via agora-business wrote:
> CFJ:
> In a message sent on Tue Oct 11 23:12:43 UTC 2022 entitled "Exhibit
> A", Shy Owl attempted to perform at least 1 action.
>
> The message is reproduced here:
>
> > Tue Oct 11 23:12:43 UTC 2022
> >
> > I perform at least 1 game action.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Shy Owl
>
> Arguments for:
> {
> 1.  Shy Owl was a player at the time of sending and capable of
> performing game actions.
> 2.  The circumstances under which a player is capable of attempting a
> game action appear to be unregulated by the rules.
> 3.  The intended result of the message (the number of game actions
> being performed being at least 1) was clear and unambiguous.
>
> Therefore, the message did constitute an attempted action.
> }
>
> Arguments Against:
> {
> Shy Owl did not specify any particular action, therefore it is
> impossible to determine any specific game action e may have been
> attempting. If this were the case, it would be impossible to
> determine for certain whether or not the attempt was successful.
>
> Therefore, the message was not valid as an attempted action.
> }

Arguments: Publishing a statement is in of itself a game action (e.g.
it can violate rule 2471), and that action was definitively performed.

More generally, game actions are only performed via using a mechanism
stated in the rules, so you can determine whether they occurred or not
by seeing if any of the mechanisms were satisfied. Stating that you're
performing a particular action is enough to trigger "by announcement"
mechanisms; stating that you're performing some action (but not
specifying which) is not, thus it'd only be sufficient to perform
actions that had more lenient mechanisms for performing them.

Stating that you're performing an action, without using the correct
mechanism for the action, doesn't work (and it's a recurring Agoran
fallacy to think that it does). As such, the only actions that were
performed were those for which publishing "I perform at least 1 game
action" is sufficient to perform them, and the only such action I'm
aware of is the act of publishing the statement itself.

--
ais523