On Wed, 2023-02-15 at 08:40 -0800, Kerim Aydin via agora-official wrote:
> The below CFJ is 4008.  I assign it to ais523.
>
> ===============================  CFJ 4008  ===============================
>
>       It costs 2 hooves to get a jersey for a horse and add a horse to
>       that horse's pull.

The existing wording of the rule, "Each player CAN … get a jersey for a
specified horse by paying 1 hoof, also specifying a horse which is
thereby added to that horse's pull by paying 1 hoof", is clearly
confused. Nonetheless, it's necessary to work out what this means.

First, let's compare with some existing actions and existing rules to
work out how to parse this.

In Agoran rules, the phrase "CAN X by Y", where X is an action,
typically means "it is possible to take action X using mechanism Y".

The mechanism is in some sense part of the action, because sometimes a
player can take the same action via two different mechanisms, and the
mechanism matters. As a simple example, consider the action "gain 1
hoof by announcement" – Alexia's owner can do this once per week, and
can also do this once per month, and the exact mechanism matters
because it will affect which of the timers gets counted against. On the
other hand, these actions each also have the mechanism of "by
announcement". So in a sense, there's a "layering" of mechanisms going
on; the mechanism is part of the action, but the action+mechanism pair
is what's specified by the rule, and thus the "action" part of the
action+mechanism pair can also contain mechanisms.

The consequence is that some actions have multiple rules-specified
mechanisms, not as alternatives, but in the sense that a use of the
action has to fit all the mechanisms. Players other than Alexia's owner
can perform the action "gain 1 hoof by announcement" once per week, so
the "inner" mechanism is "by announcement" and the "outer" mechanism is
"by announcement once per week" and they can only perform the action by
complying with both of these simultaneously.

There are plenty of cases where resolving this sort of nested mechanism
is easy. For example a hypothetical rule, "A player CAN nkep by
announcement by announcement" is redundant, but there is only one
plausible meaning of it, and it would be triggered by a player posting
"I nkep by announcement" (something that would also work even if the
rule was simply "A player CAN nkep by announcement"). Posting the
mechanism along with the action when acting by announcement is normally
unnecessary (compare "I nkep"), but it might be useful if there were
another method of nkepping specified in the rules at the same time, and
is permitted even if there isn't.

Now, let's apply this reasoning to the rule at hand. "Each player CAN …
if e has not already taken [one of these actions] this week … get a
jersey for a specified horse by paying 1 hoof, also specifying a horse
which is thereby added to that horse's pull by paying 1 hoof" is a
nested set of action+mechanism pairs. If there were another comma near
the end, this would clearly parse as "A players CAN take the action
'get a jersey for a specified horse by paying 1 hoof, also specifying a
horse which is thereby added to that horse's pull' by paying 1 hoof, if
e has not taken a weekly race action this week". The weird punctuation
makes the parsing a little less clear, but this still seems to be the
most sensible parse (as I, the caller, and the gratuitous arguments all
agree, this is clearly intended to all be one action).

As such, all that needs to be decided is to work out what it means to
take a fee-based action via a fee-based method. Rule 2579 specifies the
requirements to take a fee-based action: you must specify what the fee
is, and then the fee automatically gets destroyed or transferred as a
consequence of taking the action (and if it can't be, the action
fails). This is a consequence of making the announcement that states
that the action is being taken.

This means that when taking a fee-based action via a fee-based method,
what the rules check for, for each of the fees, is a) whether the
correct fee was announced, b) whether the fee CAN be (and thus
automatically was) paid, c) whether the fee was for the sole purpose of
using "that method" to perform that action.

If you're trying to pay 1 hoof to perform the action in question, are
these requirements satisfied? a) is satisfied by announcing "by paying
1 hoof"; b) is satisfied if you CAN pay 1 hoof; so what about c)? This
is in effect a question about whether "that method" is the same for the
two "by paying 1 hoof" requirements; if this counts as the same method
each time, then the payment of 1 hoof is sufficient to satisfy both
requirements simultaneously, whereas if it counts as two different
methods, you would need to pay 1 hoof twice (as opposed to paying 2
hooves).

The rules are not explicit on whether two methods are considered to be
identical or not. The implication from the letter of several rules
(e.g. 1789, which effectively considers two deregistrations by
different Writs of FAGE to have been done by the same method, and 1728,
which lists some examples of methods) is that a method is a simple
restriction along the lines of "with 3 support" or "by announcement";
this is an implication rather than an a clear consequence. Other rules,
such as 2555 and 2566, imply that "which rule/sentence defines the
action" is also part of the method; my understanding is that this
definition is also the closest to game custom. (Looking at the
difference in the size of the rule numbers here, likely the concept of
"method" has evolved over time.) However, either of these definitions
gives the same answer for the rule in question: the method is either
"by paying 1 hoof" in both cases, or "by paying 1 hoof as a weekly race
action, as defined by the second bullet point of rule 2672" in both
cases.

As such, the two "by paying 1 hoof" are each defining the same method
for the same action, and therefore (by the letter of rule 2579) the
same payment is sufficient to satisfy both requirements to pay 1 hoof
simultaneously – you need to destroy 1 hoof for the sole purpose of
performing that action by that method, and incur two such requirements
to do so, but "that method" is the same for both requirements and thus
the purpose of that destruction is correct for both.

(As a side note, if two different payments were specified, you would
need to pay both of them, as neither of them would satisfy the
requirement to pay the other – it's only the fact that the same method
was specified twice that makes this work.)

I judge CFJ 2008 FALSE. (But really, that rule should be fixed anyway.)

--
ais523
Judge, CFJ 2008