On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 5:07 PM Kerim Aydin via agora-official wrote:

> The below CFJ is 4013.  I assign it to G.
>
> status: https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/#4013
>
> ===============================  CFJ 4013  ===============================
>
>       Janet is party to at least one contract whose title begins with
>       'Riemann is'.

Judgement on CFJ 4013:

First off, the act of consent is an act of free will - whether someone
consents to something is a truth outside the game. While messages may
establish consent for legal purposes, consent can't be manipulated
arbitrarily through such messages, but is instead bound by limits of
thought and common sense. For example, it is nonsense to suggest that
a person's consent alternates infinitely and instantly between
consenting/nonconsenting (the brain doesn't work like that), or that
we as observers alternate infinitely between accepting and denying
consent. So, trying to set up an "infinitely back and forth" legal
fiction or paradox might succeed for an asset (in the absence of
explicit error-trapping in the rules), but when applied to consent
it's noncommunicative nonsense.

Secondly, consent is an important social concept that shouldn't be
taken lightly. To the extent that Agora is a community as well as a
game, it is in the best interests of Agora that we (as much as the
rules allow) assert the general principle that silence does NOT equal
consent. Leaving aside real world reasons, silence != consent is in
keeping with Agoran custom. Ever since the Mousetrap of 1995[0],
Agorans have carefully crafted rules to ensure that players could not
be drawn into subcontracts and so forth without wilful, expressed
consent. Further, there is a current exception that proves the rule:
"Without Objection" is literally a silence=consent process, but this
process is our most carefully and stringently wordsmithed, and is the
only process for which we award a full championship for demonstrating
a bug. This shows that Agorans have acknowledged the danger of
assuming silence=consent in an Agora gaming context, and we've adopted
explicit legislation to guard against its consequences.

Taking the position that silence != consent also means assuming that
uncertainty != consent. In many cases in Agora, we have legislated
away the law of excluded middle - just because something isn't true
doesn't mean it's false, it may be logically indeterminate. However,
in dealing with consent, we should generally avoid such logic and
maintain that a lack of clear consent means NO consent exists, at
least to the extent that the rules allow.

So, with this "good of the game" bias in mind, how do the rules apply
to this case? Determining consent is governed by R2519/2, in which
four numbered clauses describe different means for communicating
and/or inferring consent. Clauses #2 and #3 (preexisting contracts and
promises) are not relevant here, so simplifying somewhat:

> R2519/2 [excerpt]
>      A person is deemed to have consented to an action if and only if,
>      at the time the action took place:
>      1. e, acting as emself, has publicly stated that e agrees to the
>         action and not subsequently publicly withdrawn eir statement; or
>      4. it is reasonably clear from context that e wanted the action to
>         take place or assented to it taking place.

Note that whenever clause #1 is true, clause #4 is also true, because
what could be "clearer from context" than a direct positive statement
of agreement? With that in mind, I find that clause #1, on its own,
does not allow for conditionals. Clause #1 clearly says that a
statement of agreement must be made, and given the bias above towards
uncertainty not equalling consent, this should be interpreted as a
strict requirement. Clause #1 requires a direct statement of agreement
that does not allow for conditionals.

However, clause #4 *does* allow for conditionals. A simple statement
"I agree with this contract if Janet transferred a coin to me
yesterday" together with the public record of actions provides
sufficient context for assent if and only if the conditions can be
reasonably and clearly shown to be true. So, if the caller's attempt
to join a contract succeeded, it would be through clause #4, not
clause #1.

This has a couple of consequences. First, it is subject to the
"reasonably clear" standard which outright rejects conditionals based
on the Riemann hypothesis[1]. Second, clause #4 doesn't ask about the
reasonable clarity of a particular *statement* but rather of the full
context. And the context includes the entire message. So instead of
forcing us to interpret a single statement within a message, that
might contain logical contradictions or uncertainty when examined in
isolation, we look at the message as a whole to ascertain assent.

And the context of the whole message is: clearly there's some trickery
going on.  The caller has set up some conditionals based on a "fact"
that, unless e's about to reveal a proof and win the Fields Medal, e
doesn't know, we don't know, and e knows we don't know (that's also
part of the context).  How can consent for one of those contracts "at
the time of the message" be inferred from that? E knows that Agora
can't assign em to one or the other with actual knowledge of the
"correct" answer, so e isn't truly consenting to be in either, at
least not with that message.

So, since the message in question contains no direct, unconditional
statement of agreement, and it was not reasonably clear from the
overall context of the message and surrounding facts that consent for
anything was actually meant, neither clause #1 nor clause #4 are
satisfied, and therefore no consent has been given for joining these
alleged contracts.  I judge FALSE.

[0] https://agoranomic.org/Herald/theses/txt/1996-XX-XX-Swann.txt
[1] https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?1460

-G.