Ed Murphy wrote:
>could go back to charging for proposing and/or voting;

Please don't, that really sucked.  The current less direct system, of
buying voting power which can be exercised on all (Ordinary) proposals,
is vastly better.

I think generally currency-based systems don't work well in a nomic.
We have no scarce commodities, so no natural source of money.  Currencies
inevitably either suffer hyperinflation, because they're not scarce
(which is what happened to the Mark), or an artificial scarcity is
imposed and stifles the game (VTs, P-Notes).

VCs and VLOP are working better than most currency systems.  I suspect
this is because of the restrictions on them that make them relatively
difficult to transfer, though contracts could be used to circumvent
that.  Absent the contracts (which haven't occurred yet), they're more
like scores than currency holdings.  I still wouldn't be surprised to
see them inflate, though.  A large supply of VCs could easily be made
available by submitting hundreds of CFJs to get the judicial salaries.
(This was in fact done back in 1994, when judicial salaries were in
Points, and is why no one ever references CFJs 163 to 662.)

The things that are naturally scarce in this game are players' time,
expertise, and creativity.  These are not fungible, so we really can't
base a currency on them.  A gift economy is really the only model that
fits the facts.

-zefram