On 9/20/07, Ed Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>          (c) The action would, as part of its effect, modify information
>              that some player is REQUIRED to record.  Any such action
>              CANNOT be performed except as allowed by the rules.

I'm not entirely convinced that the added restriction won't break
anything; in general, we can have actions that are possible but
illegal, and legislating otherwise is potentially a legal fiction.  As
a particular example, I'm concerned about the interaction with the
self-ratification of the resolution of Agoran decisions.  Rule 208
doesn't explicitly permit the vote collector to publish an invalid
resolution announcement, so this new clause would appear to make such
an announcement legally impossible, and thus there would legally be no
document to be self-ratified.

If the rule used shall not instead of CANNOT, I would have no problem with it.

>          (d) The action would, as part of its effect, make it IMPOSSIBLE
>              to make arbitrary modifications to the rules by any
>              combinations of actions by players, and/or IMPOSSIBLE to
>              adopt proposals within a four-week period.  Any such action
>              CANNOT be performed.

I have the same reservations here as above, but also this appears to
drop some of the strength of Rule 1698.  Under R1698, changes that
would make it impossible to adopt proposals within four weeks simply
don't happen.  This proposal instead prevents actions that would cause
such changes.

However, rule changes aren't necessarily the result of actions;
consider the Virus.  Moreover, when such a change would be caused by
proposal, it is presumably the action of resolving the decision to
accept the proposal that would be impossible.  But in that scenario we
would have a dead proposal in limbo without any ability to resolve it,
which just seems messy.

As a final note, MMI is only power-2, so I have strong objections to a
power-3 rule that use its definitions unless you're going to upmutate
MMI in addition.  In fact, it looks like a couple of instances have
already crept in to other power-3 rules, so I might just propose that
anyway.

-root