On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Ed Murphy wrote:
> However, this only works if the set contains a -1 to be
> removed.

To be fair (though I wish you'd just appeal with this argument rather
than try to make a conflicting precedent which I'd appeal as being
inconsistent with the old one), this is the point that gave me the most
back-and-forth in my own mind.  I thought about allowing it only if the
historical series a particular VVLOPs contained enough minus operations.
But aside from the recordkeeping headache, in the end I felt that even
starting with a default value of 4 could be the sum of an arbitrary
number of +1s and -1s, for example (10,000 +1, 9,996 -1).

The real solution is to actually define "parameter" in the rules. :)

-Goethe