On Dec 6, 2007 4:19 PM, Kerim Aydin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually, I've wondered this about "precedent" for a while.  Statement S
> is only TRUE if A and B and C are all true.  A judge's arguments finds
> that A is true, B is true, but C is false, so S is false.
>
> Alternative interpretations:
>
> 1.  All the arguments are part of the judge's precedent, and should
> be part of future judgements to the extent that they are relevant (in
> future cases where C is true, A and B don't have to be reconsidered).
>
> 2.  Since finding C false was sufficient to find S false, all the
> arguments concerning A and B are meaningless, and not part of
> precedent.
>
> I've almost always read past precedents and respected their arguments
> as a whole along the lines of #1, because going through stepwise and
> accepting (or at least considering) each argument in turn prevents
> needing a long series of CFJs each time there's a question of this
> type, although this tradition in me is from a time before linked CFJs.
>
> Opinions?

I think it is worthy of accepting the reasoning of the preceeding
judge.  In non-game settings (such as the US Supreme Court), the folks
writing opinions often differ over time and circumstances exactly how
they write decisions.

In some cases, I've read opinions which, paraphrased and adjusted for
your example, would read "In order for S, A, B, and C must be true.  C
is false, so S is false.  There is no need to examine A and B at this
time."  This is often used in controversial cases where they do not
wish to take a strong stand on some underlying issue represented by A
or B.  A classic example is the Supreme Court deciding that there was
no need to address whether or not the recitation of the pledge of
allegiance, with an "under god" clause, was a violation of the
separation of church and state because the petitioner didn't have
legal standing to raise the case.

In other cases, I've read opinions, which would read "Despite the fact
that A and B are both true, C is false, and therefore S is false".
Usually, A and B are things which there isn't any real controversy
over them being true or not, so there isn't much import in affirming
them.

I've seen cases where the judges, emphatically state "A is false, B is
false, and C is false, so S is false".  This is usually done in cases
where they want to definitively forgo any attempt to bring the issue
up to the court again because of a change in state of one of the
issues.  All of the issues would have to be materially different
before they would consider it.

So I would tend to put precedential weight behind whatever the Judge
chose to rule on.