On Jan 24, 2008 9:46 AM, Charles Reiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think this still leaves small contracts in a bad state under the rules,
> given that amending, terminating and changing the parties (except by adding
> new parties (?(*))) to contracts with <= 1 parties basically can't happen,
> except through pledge's without-objection mechanism.

That's really a separate issue.  To fix it, I think we should just
replace "by agreement between all parties" with something more
number-neutral, such as "by obtaining the consent of all parties".

> ((*) Precedenct appears to be that joining new contracts is unregulated except
> when the contract makes a prohibition against it.

If by unregulated you mean "any person can join with unanimous
agreement between emself and the existing parties", then I agree, but
your proposal seems to enshrine a different interpretation.  I haven't
specifically noticed any contracts using an implicit "join by
announcement" mechanism, but if there are, I would assert they don't
work that way.

> But I don't know if it's
> that clear what a mechanism for adding a party has to look like to fall under
> the forming-an-agreement interpretation (fine for 0 and 1 party contracts)
> and what it has to look like to fall under the "changing the set of parties"
> (requires agreement, which can be manifested in the contract).)

I don't see the problem.  IMO, it should ultimately be left up to the
contract, not to Agora, to decide whether a change to it is valid or
not.

> [Prevent annoyances like "This contract CAN be amended by announcement
> if Goldbach's Conjecture is true."]

Why?  It's their contract.  Let them screw it up in weird ways if they want to.

-root