On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Ian Kelly wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Kerim Aydin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  El Cheapo concurring opinion, use if you really must:
>>
>>    Not every question is a CFJ, any more than every statement ever made
>>    in Agora Business is a CFJ.  A specific directive is needed: eg "I call
>>    for judgement on the following question:"  This directive is explicitly
>>    external to the statement itself.   For example, to call CFJ 1676, comex
>>    used the following (Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>       ' I call for judgement on the statement "this is a CFJ" '
>
> This ignores the precedent of CFJ 1894, which established the general
> equivalence of questions and statements.

CFJ 1894 does not address what external context or announced acts are required
to make a Call a Call.  The above argument does.  For example, is the name of
the game Agora?  I just asked a question with no indication that it was an act
of calling a CFJ.  Unless we treat intend to treat every question ever asked as
a CFJ, (and since questions=statements, every statement ever made) we need to
rely on the external-to-statement/question reference act of "I call" to
determine
what the question should be treated as.  Turning the question into "Is this a
CFJ?" does not create this externally required act of "I call".

Really, I didn't want to get into this.  My I Ching based argument is far
better (again, Really).

-Goethe