On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Ian Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:29 PM, Buddha Buck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  >  My thoughts, as a watcher (and not a player in either Agora or Agoran
>  >  Twister) is that a necessary condition to the validity of a Spot
>  >  should be that it is possible for any Innie to legally satisfy the
>  >  obligations imposed by the spot by either a declaration of OKAY or NO
>  >  WAY.  Failure to meet requirements of other spots in the same game
>  >  aren't considered, for this purpose, "illegal" (but failure to perform
>  >  as obligated isn't satisfying them, either)
>
>  Seems reasonable.
>

>  >  In a game, a Keith announces the spot: {Declare "OKAY" on all spots in
>  >  this game.}  This is not a valid spot because while it is possible to
>  >  satisfy this spot if OKAY is declared by a Keith, a declaration of "No
>  >  WAY" would immediately result in a failure to satisfy the obligation
>  >  imposed by this spot.
>
>  I don't follow.  If I declare NO WAY on such a spot, then my
>  obligation is just to declare NO WAY on at least one spot in the game.
>   Since I have just done that, it is already satisfied.

You are right.  My example was flawed.  I was trying to some up with
something where it is logically impossible to opine NO WAY and still
satisfy the requirements.

How about the spot of {Opine "OKAY" or "NO WAY" on all spots in this
game.}.  An Innie can't opine "NO WAY" without breaking the spot.  An
Innie can't even not Opine without breaking the spot.  The only way an
Innie can avoid breaking the spot is to opine "OKAY".  This fails the
suggested necessary condition (that the spot be satisfiable with
either an OKAY or a NO WAY by any Innie), so if that is adopted, that
spot would not be valid.

Another example:  The spot  {If you are the accessor, do X} cannot,
using standard meanings of first order predicate logic, be opined NO
WAY by anyone other than the accessor -- as a non-accessor trivially
fulfils the requirements of the spot, so must opine OKAY.  By my
suggestion, such a spot is not valid.