On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 11:14 PM, Ben Caplan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >5583  O1  1    ais523      Right to Vanish
>> AGAINST*10 (shouldn't be such an easy way out of contracts; if you really
>> want a get-out like that it should have a longer auto-exile)
>
> In particular, it should be at least as long as the maximum possible
> tariff of exile (240 days).

I think the time limit for OVERLOOKED is a better metric. You can
still initiate a criminal case against someone after they vanished in
most cases (which, if bad enough,would effectively extend their
autoexile). There are, of course, cases that are missed for this, but
I don't think they're much of a concern. Anything close the maximum
EXILE tariff is only likely to be done (and sustained after appeal,
proposals modifying things, etc.) to people we really really don't
like: Remember that the EXILE rule says that the middle of the time
period is appropriate for "severe rule breaches amounting to a breach
of trust". So they're likely to be the sort of special case that can
be one-off'd if really necessary.

Now, personally, I'd prefer a sort of vanishing recognition that would
recognize on a _prior_ period of sufficiently long non-participation.
The idea being that this enshrines the idea for R101 that people can
cease to play in lieu of anything else, and so after coming back after
legitimately doing so, we could forget about stupid historical
contracts and the like they entered and treat them basically like a
new player.

-woggle