On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, ihope wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Kerim Aydin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> For the current case, I think "I act on behalf of myself" is what a
>> speech act is by definition; whenever we say "I do X" we are implicitly
>> saying that we are acting on behalf of ourselves.  So the pledge is
>> a tautology, "I act on behalf of myself to do X" simplifies to "I do X"
>> and the deregistration worked.
>
> "Using the mechanism defined in the above pledge, I act on behalf of
> myself to deregister" is only a synonym of "I deregister" if the
> pledge allowed me to act on behalf of myself, regardless of whether or
> not I could have acted on behalf of myself anyway.

I'm not so sure.  Let's say there's two rules:
  -Rule A authorizes Green players to deregister by announcement.
  -Rule B authorizes Orange players to deregister by announcement.

If a Green player says "I deregister" with no qualification, it's not
Rule B that is triggered, it's Rule A, and we ignore Rule B.  But if a
Green person says "Using Rule B, I deregister", does it fail?  Or does the
qualifier get ignored as inaccurate, while the second part triggers Rule A?
I think we've had a few cases where someone has said "by Rule X, I do Y"
and it turns out that Rule X doesn't allow Y, but Rule Z does.  One
example is when I deregistered non-person partnerships last fall.  We've
(I think!) as a general custom allowed the action to stand, perhaps as
a convenience akin to allowing voting "10x" something.  This has never
been tested in court.

> Please don't be a jerk and rule that contracts can allow people to act
> on behalf of themselves but nobody else. :-P

Hmmm... ;)

-Goethe