On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Charles Reiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 1:13 AM, Ed Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Detail: http://zenith.homelinux.net/cotc/viewcase.php?cfj=2097
>>
>> ==============================  CFJ 2097  ==============================
>>
>>    The Executor of a message that contains a CFJ is also the
>>    Initiator of that CFJ, even if the Executor says E submits the
>>    CFJ on behalf of someone/something else

>> Caller:                                 Quazie
>>
>> Judge:                                  woggle
>> Judgement:

> Proto-judgement:
>
> There is one case where the answer is clear. That is the case of a
> partnership initiating an equity case for a contract it is not a party
> to. In the case of a partnership structured like the PerlNomic
> Partnership, it is not unlikely that the executor would not be
> qualified to initiate that equity case and not be easy to determine.
> As partnerships have long been recognized to have a right to act and
> certainly should have the R101(iii) to resolve controversies
> concerning a contract that have joined and given that the uncertainty
> in determining the Executor would be disruptive not in the best
> interest of the game. Therefore, I judge FALSE.
>
> Now, the apparent real purpose of this CFJ is to overturn
> act-on-behalf rights, which presently are primarily a matter of game
> custom and judicial precedent. It would be injust to overturn this in
> the case of partnerships as then the rule's definition of partnerships
> as persons would be pretty useless. The more interesting case, of
> course, is that of first-class persons.

Well, that's what I get for pressing send too early. *sigh*

So, anyways, the conclusion I wanted to get to was that because sending
messages is an inherently complex process and we have in the past recognized
automated messages on behalf of a person, there's no reason to require
a very strong
and direct connection between the act of sending a message and its
sender. Indeed,
most people could easily setup technical means for forwarding messages
such that we
could not tell if e sent or if someone acting on eir behalf sent it.
Now, the game protects
itself against uncertainty in this way by trusting a message's claim
of who sent it (the Who
am I? rule). I do not think it is in the best interest of the game to
disallow people from
doing this "delegation" manually, when clearly it is technically
possible. We can reasonably
read a contract granting authorization to act on behalf of someone as
a promise not to challenge
the identity of (sub)messages matching that criteria in this sense.

-woggle