On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Elliott Hird
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 17. Every midnight (UTC) that the PBA has zero of a given Eligible Currency,
> that currency's exchange rate goes up by 2. Every Monday midnight (UTC) that
> the
> PBA has a non-zero amount of a given Eligible Currency, that currency's
> exchange
> rate goes down by 2.

Now, I was going to say that in theory, this results in undefined
behavior around non-Monday midnights when the PBA has 0 of something,
but then I realized that this is only true when the PBA's exchange
rate is equal to the value, i.e. the PBA has at least 1 of it. When
the PBA has 0 of something, the exchange rate is merely less than or
equal to the value, and so it's free to vary without regard for price.

I guess Monday midnights are more interesting. When the PBA's holdings
are non-zero, exchange rate is equal to value, which means that it
cannot change in a predictable manner. However, non-zero Monday
midnights do have exchange rate (equal to value) changing in a
predictable manner, which means that non-zero Monday midnights cannot
exist. But there is no economic motivation to withdraw everything in
preparation for a Monday midnight, as prices are about to fall, not
rise. This all seemed inconsistent until I realized that there's
another way for values to remain unpredictable: the exchange rate can
fall to 0 as people *deposit*, as they are economically motivated to;
an exchange rate of 0 cannot go lower.

So, in theory, every Monday midnight, either the PBA's holdings or the
exchange rate will go to 0. I don't think we've actually seen this
happen, which goes to show you that mathematics is interesting but
useless.

--Warrigal