ais523 wrote:

> Quick transition guide:
> Anything > Unbinding (insufficient parties)
> Unbinding > Secret (private agreement)
> Secret > Hidden (informing the Notary)
> Hidden > Loose (publishing text and membership)
> Unbinding > Loose (agreeing to a contract that's been published)
> Loose > Public (all parties publically agree, it specifies it's public)
> Unbinding > Public (public agreement, and it specifies it's public)
> Unbinding > Pledge (public announcement, it specifies it's a pledge)
>
> Maybe there should be a Public > Loose too, but I'm not sure.

Unbinding -> Secret -> Hidden
    |                    |
    |                  Loose -> Public     Pledge
    |                    ^        ^          ^
    |                    |        |          |
    +--------------------+--------+----------+

Much of this is confusing.  I strongly recommend looking for simpler
means to the same ends.

> Agreement (Power 2)
> {{{
> At any given time, for each document, each person is either not agreeing
> to that document (the default), privately agreeing to that document, or
> publically agreeing to that document; this is a persistent status that
> can change only as described by rules with power at least 1.5. A person
> who is publically agreeing to a Public contract or Pledge contract, or
> agreeing (publically or privately) to a non-Public non-Pledge contract,
> is a defined to be a party to that contract; otherwise, that person is
> not a party to that contract. "Member of" is synonymous with "Party to"
> for the purposes of contracts.

Proto-proto:  Allow switches to be attached to sets of objects.

Agreement is a {contract, person} switch with values null (default),
Private, and Public.  Changes to agreement are secured with a power
threshold of 1.5.  A person is a party to (syn. member of) a contract
if and only if (etc.)

> If a person announces that they agree to something without specifying
> publically or privately, it is considered to be an announcement that
> they publically agree. If a person states that they agree to something
> without specifying publically or privately, and the message that states
> that is not an announcement, it is considered to be a statement that
> they privately agree.

To agree to a contract is to flip one's agreement for it from null to
another value; if the value is not otherwise specified, then it is
Public if the message is an announcement, Private otherwise.  To cease
to agree to (syn. leave) a contract is to flip one's agreement for it
to null.

> Notwithstanding other rules, a person is never publically agreeing to a
> document unless they have announced that they agree to it (but might not
> be even if they have done), and a person is never privately agreeing to
> a document unless they have explicitly specified to at least one other
> person that they do so, in a context that makes it clear that agreement
> is meant in the sense defined by this ruleset in particular; the only
> exceptions to this paragraph are that if a person was party to a
> document before this rule was created, their agreement status with
> respect to that document can alternatively have been set by the proposal
> that created this rule, and that if a document is amended persons who
> were agreeing to the document before it was amendment can sometimes be
> agreeing to it afterwards, as described in the next paragraph.
> Additionally, it is impossible to publically agree to a document that
> has never been published. This paragraph takes precedence over all other
> rules.

Rules to the contrary notwithstanding:

  a) A person's agreement to a contract CANNOT be flipped to Public
     unless e has announced that e agrees to it, and the contract has
     been published.

  b) A person's agreement to a contract CANNOT be flipped to Private
     unless e has clearly specified to at least one other person that
     e agrees to it (in the sense of agreement defined by this nomic).

Continuity should be imposed by a rule that takes precedence over the
above, then repeals itself.

> If a document is amended, each person agreeing to that document
> immediately ceases to agree to it, unless at least one of the following
> conditions hold (in which case the person agrees to the amended document
> the same way they agreed to the original document):
>       * The person explicitly consented to the amendment, or supported
>         an attempt or intent to make the amendment, or attempted or
>         intended to make that amendment
>       * There was a period lasting at least 4 days during which the
>         person could have opposed an attempt or intent to make the
>         amendment, was aware or could have easily found out that such
>         opposition to that particular amendment was possible, was aware
>         of or could easily have been able to found out that there was an
>         attempt or intent to make that particular amendment, such
>         opposition required no effort beyond sending a message with no
>         side-effects other than the opposition itself, and such
>         opposition would have prevented the amendment taking place if it
>         had been made
>       * There was a period lasting at least 4 days during which the
>         person was aware of or could easily have found out that an
>         attempt or intent to make that amendment was being made, and
>         could have ceased to agree to the document in question during
>         that time, with such ceasing to agree requiring no effort beyond
>         sending a message with no side-effects other than the ceasing to
>         agree itself.

If a contract is amended, and none of the following are true for a
given person:

  a) e attempted or intended to make that amendment, or supported such
     an attempt or intent, or explicitly consented to it

  b) there was at least a four-day period during which e was (or could
     reasonably have become)

       i) aware of the attempt or intent, and

      ii) able to either prevent the amendment or leave the contract by
          sending a message with no other effects

then that person's agreement for that contract is flipped to null.