On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Sean Hunt <ride...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I submit the following proposal, entitled {Instant Adoption}, AI 3, II
> 1, coauthored by Goethe:
> {{{
> Create a new power-3 rule:
> {{
>      A player may cause instant adoption of a proposal that has not
>      yet been voted on with A*P/(A+1) support, rounded down to the
>      nearest integer, where A is the proposal's adoption index and P
>      is, if there is an ongoing vote on the proposal, the number of
>      eligible first-class voters, otherwise the number of active
>      first-class players.
>
>      When a proposal is instantly adopted, it is removed from the
>      Proposal Pool, any Agoran Decisions on whether to adopt it
>      cease to exist, its power is set to the lesser of its Adoption
>      Index and 4, and it takes effect, any rule to the contrary
>      notwithstanding. The Assessor SHALL make note of the effects of
>      the instant adoption, but failure to do so does not prevent the
>      instant adoption from taking effect.
> }}
>
> Amend rule 106 by replacing {This rule takes precedence over any rule
> which would permit a proposal to take effect.} with {Causing or
> otherwise permitting a proposal to take effect is only possible by Rules
> with power greater than or equal to 3.}.
> }}}

The problem with having multiple ways to change the rules generally is
that every one has to fail simultaneously for "Agora Is A Nomic" to
kick in. This is fine if every general rule change method is actually
a reasonable way to change the rules, but if you have one like "with
12 support and no objections" in there, Agora loses its protection.

--Warri--er, Thomas O'Malley