Jonatan Kilhamn wrote:
> (Sorry about posting this here, but I couldn't find any active nomic forum.)
>
> I'm going to a gaming con in Sweden later this summer, and the theme
> of the con is that it's going to declare itself a republic. There will
> be some kind of LARP going on throughout the weekend about supporting
> one of three candidates in the presidential election, which will take
> place on the last day of the con. However, a fresh-starting nation
> would need some laws, wouldn't it? So I'm planning on running a game
> of nomic with the explicit purpose of ending up with the laws of the
> republic that's about to form. However, there are a few things that
> I'm not sure on how to do:
>
> How long should the game be? It's a four-day con, so either one
> evening, one day, two days or the entire con? If it's a long game, one
> could have a number of sessions each day and a mailbox outside the
> room where people put the proposals, which are then discussed and
> voted on during session.
>
> Since it's a republic, I toyed with the idea of making every vote open
> to all the people - the entire con - and let the players ('Senators'
> or 'Politicians') gather supporters who just come and vote (only works
> if it's a fairly long game).

You're describing a direct democracy, not a republic. Let each player
('Citizen') endorse a politician of eir choice ('Representative',
'Senator', 'Politician'); a senator's voting power is equal to the
number of citizens (including emself) endorsing em -- eir constituency.

Actually, to encourage fewer senators and partisan politics (which will
keep things moving faster -- fewer votes to count), don't give Senators
votes as citizens. A Senator's voting power is equal to the number of
Citizens, excluding emself, endorsing em.