On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Pavitra wrote:
> Kerim Aydin wrote:
>> - If you take a legal/decision standpoint (where legally a decision
>>   must be made based on uncertain data - see particularly natural
>>   resource management for situations like this - a court CAN
>>   determine a likely outcome and make it the legal reality; for
>>   example by the court making a fair choice itself or delegating to
>>   the recordkeepor.
>
> This sounds very promising. I had assumed (after failing to find the
> term "random" in a few online law dictionaries) that there was no legal
> definition of the term. But if a non-catastrophic legal definition of
> random exists, then R217s2 allows us to choose it over the catastrophic
> mathematical definition, since R754(3) gives equal weight to each.

In legal language (and the current situation) we're talking about making a
decision under "uncertainty" in what is.  There are a lot of laws dealing
with "decisionmaking when the true state of affairs is unknown but
statistically measured".  I think "randomness" in a legal sense is
associated with "arbitrary and capricious" decisions which are in fact
bad.  For example, imaging a judge saying "both parents had an equally
good case for child custody, so I'm flipping a coin."  Though I suppose
it may have come up if a judge were working with a contract that involved
gambling or something.

-G.