On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Roger Hicks <pidge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree completely, and that is exactly what I am trying to prevent in
> this case. I believe that dependent actions ARE NOT broken. I have
> interpreted the rule differently than comex. By preventing this
> judgment from moving forward I have (in my opinion) prevent the courts
> from ratifying a falsehood (dependent actions are broken)

Incorrect judgements aren't self-ratifying (and neither is the SLR,
though your website seems to disagree).  While this neat little
paradox is sort of judicial abuse, illegally delaying the case when
it's almost certain to be judged FALSE-- even if the appeal results in
REASSIGN-- is far worse in my opinion.

More than once I've witnessed-- and carried out-- scams which turned
out to violate the Rules.  Nobody ever intends to carry out an illegal
scam, for a pragmatic reason: scams tend to annoy people.  If the scam
is illegal, you are likely to get a large punishment.  Although right
now we have a maximum sentence, in the past there was always the
threat (if not the reality) of EXILE.  But if it toes the line and
stays legal, no matter how annoyed everyone gets, nobody can touch
you.

That's the original theory, I suppose, and it still holds true as some
scams end up in quite heated arguments, but somehow the effect got
separated from the cause.  Now scams are considered legitimate
gameplay if and only if:
(1) they don't severely mess up the game, and
(2) they don't violate the rules.

If it violates the rules, they suddenly become illegitimate-- just see
the response to Pavitra's "highly illegal scam" thread-- and it is bad
form to execute them, even if you are willing to pay the penalty.
ais523 takes this theory to the extreme, and is generally quite shy of
going anywhere near illegality; I'm more moderate but I toe the line.
Perhaps I've learned my lesson from P1-100, or the false claims that I
performed duties related to a contest... as I said, nobody ever
*intends* to carry out an illegal scam...

Delaying the judicial system does not change the precedent, and it's
not in the best interests of Agora.  Thus I consider it a scam, and it
annoys me to have scams I consider illegitimate executed against me.
So, apologies for a harsh tone.

CFJ outcomes aren't binding.  If you want to change the precedent,
call a new case, where there can be a more serious discussion.  I
realize that would be letting me and the other players involved get
away with a "scam" (which isn't giving anyone a win, btw)-- but treat
this as a scam like any other.  You may counter the scam if you have
the legal means to, which you presently don't, but it's not directly
in the best interests of Agora that the scam be defeated.

To be honest, I think that the outcome of a new case will be the same.
 Remember, as a panelist you now have the opportunity to publish a
formal Dissenting Opinion.

> have drastic consequences on the game (because if interpreted from
> comex's perspective dependent actions would have been broken long
> before my proposal recently amended the rule).

I've explained why this isn't true.  The "if-then" is used in the
mathematical sense and worked until your proposal amended the rule.

--
-c.