On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011, ais523 wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-10-23 at 13:15 -0700, Kerim Aydin wrote:
>> >       Any person who wins the game while knowingly breaking a Rule,
>> >       or while knowingly being a party to a Rules breach, where the
>> >       breach is directly and substantially responsible for the win,
>> >       commits the Class-4 Crime of Ungamesmanship.  If any party is
>> >       found GUILTY of this crime, then, once the judgement has been
>> >       in effect for one week, the Herald SHALL, as part of the
>> >       punishment, revoke any Champion title awarded to the guilty
>> >       parties, and award them the patent tile Cheater.
>>
>> I don't like the patent title here, as it'll just encourage people to
>> attempt to get it (in a perverse way). Everything else looks fine.
>
> Wondered about that.  I really want to mark "cheaters" with something
> thatis a true and beyond-immediate-criminal-penalty badge of shame, and
> make it clear that it's not part of the tradeoff - someone who wins this
> way is truly breaking the rules.  No honor, just:  "X is a cheater."  Is
> it even possible to make one that doesn't have a perverse incentive?

Make it a separate class of thing from a patent title, maybe? For
example, add a clause to the rule simply defining a "cheater" as
somebody who has committed Ungamesmanship, with no title or list of
cheaters. That would make it possible to entirely factually refer to
somebody as one, with a rule-defined meaning behind the accusation,
while also keeping there from being any kind of report it is
perversely desirable to get o. Ideally, it shouldn't be like a hall of
infamy to aspire to, merely a fact of the universe that a certain
person is known to cheat.

(I also do like stripping cheaters of *all* Champion titles, much as
the Olympics strip them of medals even from before the cheating.)

 - teucer