On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Sean Hunt <scsh...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> R106 provides a precises description of how a proposal takes effect,
> and is sufficiently powered to do so. Thus R106 is the rule defining
> the substantive aspects of the proposal: namely what it does when it
> takes effect. Nothing prevents a lower powered rule from causing a
> proposal to take effect.

Gratuitous: Under that interpretation, the text of a proposal is also
not a substantive aspect, because it is merely consulted by R106, not
'intrinsically effectful'; neither does the ID number or power of a
rule (Rule 2141's definition to the contrary fails due to precedence),
or really anything other than the text of the rules, which is the only
thing in the game that has an effect without the rules saying so.

i.e. whether a proposal is taking effect does affect its operation
(very directly; I know a line has to be drawn somewhere for an effect
on operation to be "incidental"), even though that's only because of
other rules.  (Though perhaps it doesn't fall under R2140 at all, not
being actual, persistent
gamestate...?)