On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Ed Murphy wrote:
> Kolja wrote:
>
> > Wouldn't that mean that appeals are always judged by a panel biased
> > against the original judgement?
>
> That's not what "favor/disfavor" mean; they mean "I do/don't want this
> case assigned to me", regardless of how they would judge it if it was.

One *could* use favor to try to deliver a favorable judgement that a scam
worked, but to date we've been really well-behaved with that; disfavoring
(used most often) means "this case is too complicated/too uninteresting for
me to want to judge it right now" (or, "I am not a neutral party so don't
assign it to me") and "favor" is almost always used for "what an interesting
case!  I'd love to be the judge."

-G.