On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Alex Smith <ais...@bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> (The recent TIME OUT scam, which made players
> inactive, likewise doesn't actually work on vote resolution, for this
> reason; however, it would have worked on proposal /distribution/, back
> before the loophole was patched.)

The recent TIME OUT scam was for a General Election, where the
definition of eligible voter is different.

> [...with notice...]

> it's
> possible for Fool to destroy the "part 1" promise even if its author
> destruction condition is true

*false?

> There's clearly
> something wrong with the kind of logical argument that lets you conclude
> that one of a set of actions is possible, but without any knowledge as
> to which.

I disagree with this line of reasoning: *if* we assume that this type
of statement allows one to assert arbitrary statements or mechanisms,
and is thus generally equivalent to an arbitrary rule, it stands to
reason that a pathological or inevaluable statement could be
introduced just as easily as in a rule, so I don't think this
possibility discredits the interpretation.

> (Agora
> always has had a custom that shorthand that would expand to an infinite
> statement is not allowed.)

I wouldn't call this shorthand.  Shorthand is where the Rules require
that some information be specified - directly, if they are to be
interpreted literally, but they are interpreted as implicitly allowing
indirect specification via arbitrary statements as long as those
statements are simple, easy to evaluate, determinate, etc.  In this
case, an arbitrary (and arbitrarily complex) statement is being
explicitly evaluated, and precedent is to allow even statements like
"this statement is false" which more unambiguously expand into
infinitely long logical expressions.

>    - Rule 2337 permits X when sentence A is true (and thus not
> undecidable)

This is not an unreasonable interpretation, but it does conflict with
repeatedly established custom that a paradoxical statement makes the
possibility of X undecidable, e.g. in my previous win by paradox due
to the same clause of Rule 2337; the introduction of Determinacy (and
previously Messy Statements) into the rules support this
interpretation, and the conflict is not inherent to a mechanical
interpretation of the rules.  Of course the issue here is that there
is more than one form of paraconsistent logic.  I would call for
reconsideration if this affected the outcome of the CFJ, but since it
does not, I'll kick the can...