On Tue, 25 Mar 2014, Sean Hunt wrote:
> I am a big fan of the figurehead model of Speaker.

I've been a fan like that for a long time, but was thinking during the
re-write: how many times has a figurehead Speaker done anything
Interesting, versus an elected officer with power?  So I was looking
to have an elected office that was just basically power (votes).
I've actually been hoping for a controversial AI-3 issue in which I
was in the minority, so that the majority might consider turning me
out of office to get the proposal through.

That job doesn't have to be named Speaker, either.  Maybe the
figurehead is still Speaker, and a Prime Minister who is elected, and
actually has votes?

> The rewards for officeholding
> are influence over the offices' dominions (courts is a big one ATM)
> and a decent chunk of points over which I'm willing to negotiate (I'm
> sure ais will argue it should be higher!). If you want to rename CotC
> or something, I'm totally fine with that.

Name not a big deal to me; more thinking in terms of function.

> It might also be worth looking at some other office-specific powers,
> like giving the Scorekeepor the ability to fudge points around. But I
> figure I don't want to make too much in the way of proposals since the
> point is to encourage proposal-based gameplay, that's easy enough to
> add after once there are points attached ;)

My Next Big Idea was Officers' Policies:

1.  Loosen up Rules restrictions on Officers.  Allow Promotor to
decide which proposals to distribute for example, as long as none
sits for longer than (say) 3 weeks.  CotC more flexible in appointing
judges (I added that a bit already).  Assessor has flexibility in
how to award Voting Strength Tokens.  Etc.

2.  An Officer's Policy is like a pledge.  E can publish eir system
for determining proposal distribution (or whatever).  It can be
corrupt (bribes for distribution) or fair.  If e wins the election that
becomes eir Policy, which e must abide (or change with some number of
objections).  Policies could also have asset creation authority (if
assets still exists, no big deal if not).

3.  Policies become mini-games with substantial power for the officer,
and the subject of electoral politics.

(This is just the direction I was thinking; not asking you to propose
or incorporate this!)

-G.