Agora is about to enter a period of deficit. Now there's quite a few
suggestions to change/repair/replace the economy. I wanted to go back over
the philosophical underpinnings of the current economy, how successfully it
matches those, and how the existing proposals make that mapping better,
worse, or different.

First, why do we have an economy and what does it do?

The current economy is largely a result of a discussion about The Ideal
Grind started by G. in Jul 2016 [1]. The whole thread is a fantastic read
and I'd argue that it is required reading before proposing any new subgames
from now on.

[Warning: tooting my own horn!] If there is a single paragraph to take away
for our current situation, it is this thing that I said:

{
I'd make an argument that the commodity produced by Agora is the story of
Agora. Ultimately, the story of Agora thus far is what attracts new
players, and being a part of the story is often what influences people to
stay for a long period of time. This is why we have so many permanent
awards, why there's an (under-used) system for awarding degrees for
meta-texts.
}

Much later, in January [2], I refined that thought process into some
conditions for a functional economy:

{
1. It should reward adding to the story,
2. It should punish detracting from the story,
3. It should enable interesting behavior, and
4. It shouldn't bog Agora down with minutiae.
}

Of those, 3 is the one most related to the 'story as commodity' concept.

NB: I am open to reconsidering either these points or the original
argument. But for now I believe them the most fleshed-out ways to judge an
Agoran economy.

So, how are we doing? Well 2 is (purposely) non-existent right now, and 3
is debateably non-existent. Paying officeholders is an attempt at
accomplishing 1 while following 4. Paying to pend is arguably anti-1 but it
gives shinies a value by making them useful.

So, how do current proposals do by these measures? Let's take a look (in no
particular order):

----

Real Estate [3]

Primarily focuses on 3. If we assume shinies are being awarded according to
1, then it also follows 1 by giving you a way to use your earnings for more
power. Fairly simple (4), and has nothing to do with 2.

----

The Liquidity Proto-Proposal [4]

More of a replacement for the central banking mechanics than anything else.
Perhaps adds to 3. Not sure about 1. No interaction with 2. Maybe a little
complex.

----

Mint Chocolate [5]

Attempts to temporarily fix the current supply problem. Obeys 4 by being
the simplest way to 'improve' the current system. Otherwise equivalent to
the current system.

----

The Gig Economy [6]

More complex (4) but pays more directly for contributions (1). Arguably
better for 2 because it takes some payment from inactive officeholders.

----

Assets [7]

Nothing to do with 1 or 2. Basically a big trade-off between 3 and 4.

----

Of the existing proposals, I think we would see the biggest improvement
with the lowest overhead by adopting The Gig Economy, Mint Chocolate, and
Real Estate.

Overall, 2 is being ignored. Why? One possibility is that it's a faulty
rule. Another is that people are overly-cautious about punishments.
Possible implementations of 2:

- A flat or %-based fine when a card is received.
- A wealth tax - which can be seen as 'punishment' for hording money
instead of using it

[1]
https://www.mail-archive.com/agora-discussion@agoranomic.org/msg33637.html
[2]