On May 20, 2017, at 3:47 PM, Alex Smith <ais...@alumni.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2017-05-20 at 07:04 +0000, Quazie wrote:
>> I CFJ on the following Two Linked Statements:
>> It is possible to create an agency such that its acronym contains at least
>> one integer symbol (e.g. 0-9).
>> It is possible to create an agency such that its acronym contains at least
>> one non-english alphabetic character (芋, Ñ, Æ).
>
> These are CFJ 3502 and CFJ 3503 respectively. I assign them to o.
>
>> Arguments:
>> Agencies might be a limited resource of (26^3) possible existing agencies.
>> From my reading of rule 2461, it seems like a number is likely not possible
>> within an agency's Acronym, as numbers aren't words, but I wouldn't be
>> surprised if non-english words would allow us to get to more than
>> (26^3) agencies [More language bits!].
>>

>> Parts of 2461:
>> ..
>>
>>             a) A title, which must be exactly three words, not
>>                counting conjunctions, articles or prepositions.
>>
>> ..
>>
>>       An Agency, once created, SHOULD be referred to by the acronym
>>       formed from its title with conjunctions, articles, and
>>       prepositions removed. The acronym of an agency must be unique
>>       and any attempt to create or amend an Agency such that two
>>       Agencies would have the same acronym is INEFFECTIVE.
>>
>> ..

I find the statement

        It is possible to create an agency such that its acronym contains at
least one integer symbol (e.g. 0-9)

TRUE.

Rule 2467 sets out the vital attributes of an Agency. Most relevantly, its
acronym:

> An Agency, once created, SHOULD be referred to by the acronym formed from its
> title with conjunctions, articles, and prepositions removed.

and its title:

> a) A title, which must be exactly three words, not counting conjunctions,
> articles or prepositions.

The term “word” is not restricted by the rules, and therefore has its common
definition. Moreover, Agoran convention permits the use of numerals as words.
See, for example, the identifier of this call for judgement. Therefore, an
Agency may have a numeral in its title, which, being neither a conjunction, an
article, or a preposition, would necessarily be used to form its acronym.

It isn’t clear how a numeral should be compressed to form part of an acronym.
It is conceivable that the first digit of a numeral should be used in place of
the whole numeral, and this appears to be consistent with the rules regarding
Agency names and acronyms.

Therefore, it is possible for an Agency’s acronym to contain a digit - an
integer symbol, as defined.

I find the statement

        It is possible to create an agency such that its acronym contains at
least one non-english alphabetic character (芋, Ñ, Æ).

TRUE.

Rule 2467 requires that the title of an Agency consist of exactly three words:

> a) A title, which must be exactly three words, not counting conjunctions,
> articles or prepositions.

It does not require that those words be representable using any dialect of
English. Russian words, for example, appear perfectly acceptable, and would be
represented most accurately in the Cyrillic alphabet. Such a word would most
obviously be abbreviated for the Agency’s acronym by taking its first
character, which would be a non-english alphabetic character.

It is therefore possible for the acronym of an Agency to contain at least one
non-english alphabetic character.

-o