On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 5:36 PM Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2017, Quazie wrote:
> > Proposal: "Betterer Pledges" AI=1.7 Coauthor='G., Gaelan, Aris'
> > {{{
> >   Replace the text of Rule 2450 with the following:
> >   {{{
> >     A pledge is an agreement between a player and Agora.
>
> So this single statement is a definition, which means it takes the term
> 'pledge'
> out of common definition (where it's clearly made by the person who's
> bound by it)
> and gives it new meaning, which, oddly, makes the mechanism less clear.
> E.g. to
> me, this sentence seems to imply that 'Agora' must somehow be involved
> with or
> consent to the agreement...?

I agree with most of what you said, but I think Agora agrees to all pledges
anyway. This rule specifies what a pledge is, and the procedure for making
one. Agora is it's rules, or a nomic (a game with binding and amendable
rules), or perhaps even a democracy, where the people express their will
through the rules. Whichever it is, I'd think a rule saying something means
Agora agrees with it (as long as it is consistent with the other rules etc.)

-Aris