On 07/19/17 15:07, Cuddle Beam wrote:
> Related to the Ruleset being outdated and needing a Rulekeepor and
> that driving me mad lol, If I get the chance to go code it, I'll
> definitely try to make a thing like this:
>
> https://i.gyazo.com/a9d07830e67fa7b2901aa70b9f3987e7.png

This looks fine for small changes, but terrible for big changes. I start
from the concept and work my way back to the rules, so there's no point
in using an application that forces you to start from the rules and edit up.

> The output in the right can be in "Beam Language" or something. Then,
> some bot can wait for an Assessor post and automatically read the Beam
> Language changes and update the Ruleset accordingly, immediately. We
> write the description of edits to the ruleset like robots in proposals
> anyway, so Beam Language would be both human-readable and bot-readable.

Not really. Many proposals include language like 'replace all instances
of X with Y' or 'increment all values of X by 1'.

Also, what about gamestate changes that aren't rules? The economics
overhaul proposal changes some switch values; it's changing the
gamestate without changing the rules.

> The thing would be to have everyone use the application to write their
> proposals (which, if I make it good enough, everyone will, because the
> tool should strive to be more comfortable than doing it all without
> tool-assistance, and eventually passing a rule to make it mandatory
> (at least Beam Language format) should be easy from there.)

If it was possible to make a writing platform that was 'good enough' for
everyone, we wouldn't live in a world where nearly every writer, coder,
and poet uses a different toolchain. Writing is taking your thoughts and
putting them into a human-readable format, and everyone thinks
differently enough that no single method is best.

For instance, I start all my work as handwriting (and drawing and
diagraming). Then I write some proto-language in vim. And then I start
integrating the necessary rule changes manually. I've tried using a diff
system in the third part, but it always seems like a distraction rather
than a help.