> On Sep 23, 2017, at 5:10 AM, Alex Smith <ais...@alumni.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 2017-09-23 at 00:54 -0400, Owen Jacobson wrote:
>> The idea is that someone seeking to create a contract can instead
>> create a pledge, and then (in the same message, probably) create an
>> aggregate containing the pledge and the other affected assets. This
>> is limited - you can’t contract duties this way, only assets - but
>> incredibly flexible as to what kinds of obligation may be
>> transferred. Even if you receive an unwelcome pledge this way, you
>> have ownership of it, and may retract it.
>
> You can mousetrap someone by giving them a pledge that they're already
> platonically breaking, and then calling em on it immediately. That
> doesn't seem right to me.

If the pledges-as-assets proposal passes, then someone trying this would need
some co-conspirators. Calling in a pledge, under that proposal, requires Agoran
Consent and therefore requires at least one supporting player. I have enough
faith in Agorans as a whole to believe that at least someone would object to
calling in such a pledge.

Once you own the pledge you can also defuse it by withdrawing the pledge. If
the giver really, _really_ doesn’t want you to do that, they can object more or
less indefinitely, but it would be incredibly poor sportspersonship to do so.

You’re not wrong, but I don’t think it’s as dangerous as that.

-o