On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 at 15:48 Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> I submit this Proposal, AI-3, "Can or can't we?" (pending to wait for
> comments):

> [The rules are unclear/silent on whether "CAN, SHALL, MAY" imply
> "by announcement" and game opinion is somewhat split.  We should make
> it clear, but I'm not sure there's an AI-3 majority favoring either
> option.  Rather than leave it unclear, this uses an AI-3 majority
> to approve that we want it clarified, but leaves it up to majority
> vote whether "by announcement" is implied.  (even people voting
> AGAINST can have their preference counted on that part).
>

> Amend Rule 2125 (Regulated Actions) by replacing:
>       Restricted Actions CAN only be performed as described by the
>       Rules.
> with:
>       A Restricted Action CAN only be performed as described by the
>       Rules, and only using the methods explicitly specified in the
>       Rules for performing the given action.
>
> [this over-arching protection means in general, "by announcement"
> is NOT implied].
>

> If the majority of valid ballots (valid at the end of the voting
> period) cast in the decision to adopt this proposal specify "OPTION A"
> along with their vote, then amend Rule 2152 (Mother, May I?) by
> appending the following paragraph:
>
>       If a Rule states that an entity CAN, MAY, or SHALL perform an
>       action, but does not explicitly specify a method for performing
>       it, then "CAN by announcement" is specified by that Rule as a
>       method for performing that action (subject to any conditions
>       included with the CAN, MAY, or SHALL).

I dislike this extra option, and in particular that it only requires a
majority to apply. I'd really prefer splitting this out to separate
proposals so that AI=3 applies to both of them separately, or at lesat
requiring 3 times as many OPTION A votes as non-OPTION A votes. Also, this
doesn't take into account PRESENT; is that intentional?

-Alexis